How do I recycle paper, glass, metal etc.?
Residents are required to recycle (please see Town Bylaw 22). Items for recycling can be taken to the Town Garage on Maple Street on Saturdays from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Please separate paper and metal from plastic and glass. The Town also has an Electronics and Bulky Waste Collection Day annually for larger items. This is usually held at the end of September each year at the Town Garage. Please check the News on the front page of the Website for date and time.  

The Town of Lanesborough also partners with Recycle Smart MA.  Please click here for more information.
How do I pay my property and excise taxes?
Taxes can be paid at the Town Hall on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and Monday Evening from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm or online at the Lanesborough Online Payment Center.
How do I obtain Cable / Internet Service?
The Town of Lanesborough has a contract with Charter/Spectrum for cable, phone and internet services.  Residents can also obtain TV services through Dish or Direct TV.  Please click on the links below for more information.  


Selectman Michael P. Murphy has been contacted by many Lanesborough residents with comments, concerns, and questions regarding SPECTRUM (cable, internet and phone) services in Town. Prior to being elected as a selectman, Mr. Murphy served on the Town's Cable Committee off and on for over 20 years.

Mr. Murphy would like to arrange a virtual public forum with SPECTRUM representatives in early 2021. Residents with comments, concerns, and/or questions can email Mr. Murphy directly at the link below. He is anticipating a virtual meeting where he will act as a moderator, asking the questions and following up as needed. Interested Lanesborough citizens can attend via a Zoom meeting.  

As a timesaver, Mr. Murphy would like to present questions to SPECTRUM prior to the meeting.  As moderator he will determine the order of the questions. Mr. Murphy would prefer to focus on services without taking too much time to discuss fees for those services unless time allows. The Town looks forward to your feedback and participation in this regard.

Thank you. 

Email Michael Murphy
When do you declare a snow emergency?
A snow emergency is declared after a snowfall of more than three inches. Plowing starts on the snow emergency routes first and then to the side streets.
Where do I get fishing and hunting licenses?
Fishing and hunting licenses can be obtained at Dave's Sporting Goods at 1164 North Street, Pittsfield, or at Walmart at 555 Hubbard Avenue, Pittsfield.
How and where can I get a burning permit?
Permits for open burning are available from January 15th through May 1st.  For your convenience, permits will be issued free of charge by visiting Berkshire County Burn Permits.  
How do I reach the dog officer/animal control officer?
The animal control officer can be reached at (413) 443-4107. In the event of any emergency, such as a serious bite or other endangerment, please dial 911.
Where do I apply for a dog license?
Dog licenses can be obtained at the Town Clerk's office or online.  Licenses need to be renewed annually in accordance with Town Bylaw 12 (dogs must have an up-to-date rabies certificate). Cats do not need to be licensed.
How do I find my polling place?
All elections are held at the Lanesborough Town Hall at 83 North Main Street in the Community Room which is located on the lower level.
When and where can I register to vote?
How to Register to Vote

Who may register?

Only a person who is:

  • A US citizen, and
  • A resident of Massachusetts, and
  • 18 years old on or before election day

How can I register to vote?

  • By Mail: Mail-in registration forms are widely available. You can obtain a mail-in registration from the Town Clerk oron-line. You may also call (617) 727-2828 or 1 (800) 462-VOTE and a form will be sent to you.  Mail the completed form to the Town Clerk. You should receive a confirmation notice in 2 to 3 weeks. If you do not, please contact your local election office to verify your voting status.
  • In Person: Go to any registration location and complete an affidavit of registration, which must be answered truthfully under the penalty of perjury. The questions on the affidavit will include your name, residence and date of birth.
  • At the Registry of Motor Vehicles: Keep your motor voter receipt until you receive confirmation from your local election official. If you do not receive any confirmation, please contact your local election office to verify your voting status.

When and where may I register?

There is no waiting period to be eligible to register to vote. If you move, you may register to vote as soon as you move into your new home.

You may register to vote:

in person or by mail, by completing a mail-in registration form and delivering it to your city or town election office, or

  • A any local election office in any city or town in the state and at any registration event you encounter anywhere in Massachusetts, or
  • Wen applying for or renewing your driver's license at the Registry of Motor Vehicles or when applying for service at a designated voter registration agency. 
  • Registration forms are also available at all colleges, universities, high schools and vocational schools.

What must I do if I've changed my address since I registered?

If you have moved within the same city or town, notify your local election office of your new address in writing. If you have moved to a new city or town, you must register again.

Are there deadlines for registration?

Yes. In order to vote you must be registered:

  • 20 days before all primaries and elections, and/or
  • 10 days before a special town meeting.

Do I need to attach identification to my voter registration form?

Yes, if you are registering to vote for the first time in Massachusetts. Because of a new federal law, the Help America Vote Act of 2002 passed by Congress, if you registered to vote by mail on or after January 1, 2003, you will be required to show identification when you vote for the first time in a federal election since registering by mail in 2003, or you can send in a copy of your identification with your voter registration form. 

Acceptable identification must include your name and the address at which you are registered to vote, for example: a current and valid driver’s license, photo identification, current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document showing your name and address. If you send in a copy of your identification with your mail-in voter registration form, it may not be returned to you. 

If you do not provide such identification, the Help America Vote Act of 2002 requires that you may only cast a provisional ballot which will be counted later, but only after your eligibility to vote has been determined.

What should I do if I registered to vote and I have not heard from my local election official?

If you have not received confirmation of your voter status from your city or town election official within 2 or 3 weeks from the date you registered please contact your local election office to verify your voting status. 
Who provides cable service in Lanesborough?
Lanesborough's Cable TV provider is Charter Communications.
Can I keep chickens, ducks or rabbits?
When is trash picked up?
The Town of Lanesborough does not provide trash or recycling pickup.  The following refuse haulers are currently (2016) permitted to perform that service:

Name Address Phone
Allied Waste/Republic Services 485 South State Rd.
Cheshire, MA 01225
(413) 743-7700
Delmolino & Sons 275 North Street
Cheshire, MA 01225
(413) 743-5397
East Adams Trucking PO Box 478
Adams, MA 01220
(413) 743-4444
Professional Disposal 1146 Peru Rd.
Windsor, MA  01270
(413) 684-2893
TAM Inc. 639 North Road
Shaftsbury, VT 05262
(802) 447-1300